Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

These delicious muffins start out a lot like my Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, because these came first! After I got this recipe to where I loved it, I modified it for a more chocolatey version! If you love these, you’ll them and vice versa! Try them both!

zucchini chocolate chip muffins

4.8 from 11 reviews
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Author:
Recipe type: Muffin
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup ground flax
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use paper liners
  2. Combine flours, flax, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a bowl. Mix egg, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract into another bowl.
  3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
  4. Fill prepared muffin cups ⅔ full.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 min or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.

zucchini chocolate chip muffins

These are a perfect mid morning snack with a cup of tea, or you can also leave the nuts out and send them in your kids school lunch bag. You might also like to try this Chocolate Zucchini Bread as well!

Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread - Mom vs the Boys

Enjoy!

Comments

1. SOunds great! I love the sub of apple sauce for half of the oil!

2. I love those muffins. Delicious. Make them all the time

3. These muffins look delish! I love all the healthy ingredients. Thank you!

• I had to tweak with a few recipes to try to make them a little healthier, and I use flax whenever I can with baking!

4. Way more ingredients than I would anticipate here fir this one. I love chocolate and zucchini combination so I can only imagine how tasty these are.

• I love that I always have all those ingredients on hand. I keep frozen shredded zucchini in my freezer, so I can make these any time!

5. Looks delicious! I love anything zucchini for baking – will have to try this one for my boys’ lunch.

6. Sounds truly delicious … I could see myself gobbling the entire batch! Chocolate zucchini is an awesome combination; can’t wait to try them.

7. I make these sometimes. I love the taste combo. With Fall here maybe I will make some more

8. Wow they sound delicious! I’m bookmarking this with good intentions to make some soon…

9. Yum! These look great.

10. I love zucchini muffins! And these ones have chocolate chips!!!

11. Wow never thought to make muffins with zucchini!

12. David Fultner says:

I have had bread like these. these zucchini muffins would be great.

13. Marilyn Legault says:

these are great. we make the same using bananas.

14. Rosanne Robinson says:

these muffins sound delicious, can’t wait to try them 🙂

15. I love making these zuchinni muffins because they are moist and delicious and the flax seed is so beneficial to our health.Thanks for posting this recipe.

16. I’m always overwhelmed with tons of zucchini every fall so this recipe will come in handy. They look delicious!

• momvstheboys says:

you probably already do it, but definitely freeze the zucchini too. I love being able to bake with zucchini in the winter!

17. Yum! Love zucchini muffins.

18. Yum! What a great way to use up all those extra zucchini! Harvest season is coming up sooner then we think — I can’t wait!

19. Cairine says:

Great, another recipe I can use to use up the tons of zucchini my husband grows.

20. Caroline says:

I’ve made muffins with zucchini before but not with chocolate chips! That’s even better!

21. Svitlana Rezai says:

I love zucchini muffins!

I could see myself eating the entire batch!

23. I lovce Zucchini and it is that time of year again. Time to bake some muffins.

24. It doesn’t even look like it has zucchini in them. MMmmm!

25. Elizabeth Vlug says:

These sound amazing. And a great way to sneak some veggies in those picky eaters. Thanks for sharing.

26. My mom makes zucchini pecan muffins and they are super yummy. Can’t taste the zucchini at all and they are nice and moist 🙂

27. Looks delicious, can’t wait to try this one!

28. Erika Belanger says:

Oh my gosh YUM! I love baking with zucchini! My grandma makes amazing zucchini bread that I love! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

29. ivy pluchinsky says:

those look good!

30. These sound so truely delicious.I have a craving to have these for Thanksgiving.I will be trying them tomorrow.Thank you.

31. Rosanne Robinson says:

these muffins look soooooooooo delicious, I definitely need to try them!

32. Mike Gismondi says:

these look delicious!

33. Amy Lovell says:

These look delicious! Thanks will have to try these!

34. This is going on my baking list!

35. I’ve never cooked with flax, just sprinkled whole seed on salads. I guess as its ground its not even noticeable?

36. MMM looks good!

37. Darren Scrubb says:

I do not remember ever eating zucchini so I am anxious to try out these muffins;.

38. Judy Cowan says:

Made these yesterday and they are great, no one realized that there was zucchini in them

I make these all the time the grandkids love them

40. Joanne Saunders says:

I normally do not like zucchini and was tricked into eating muffins made with it. After I ate the muffin and was told what it was made with, I’ll admit I have changed my mind concerning zucchini. As long as it’s disguised in muffins zucchini is my new favorite food.

I had lots of almonds left over from the holidays so i chopped and added some to these muffins….really good !

42. This is a great way to get some veggies into the diet! The flax looks interesting also!

43. Calvin F. says:

Definitely a good way to sneak in some veggies. LOL. I have never heard of such mixture.

44. Shirleyp says:

These muffins look awesome and love the healthy ingredients Thank you for the recipe