This is a recipe that both my mom and my mother in law has been making for years! Not being a very popular recipe, I was super surprised to find that my husband’s family included Marinated Carrots in all of their festive meals as well! Match made in heaven? I think so! I’ve had a few friends turn up their noses when they heard this dish is served cold, don’t be fooled! It’s actually the perfect balance to a hot and heavy meal like a turkey dinner. But that’s not even the beauty of it! The best part is that this veggie dish is made ahead of time, even a couple days if you like and then you know that you have one part of the meal done and out of the way for all the heavy lifting that goes on during the holiday meal prep!
- 2 - 3 lbs raw carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ large onion cut into strips
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 10 oz can of tomato soup
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- Place the carrots in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until nearly done. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add onion and green pepper strips to the same bowl.
- While carrots are cooking, mix tomato soup, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, mustard and ketchup together in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour mixture over top of vegetables and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Enjoy Your Holiday Meal!