How to cook perfect Bacon in the oven

mmmm….bacon! Bacon makes everything taste better doesn’t it? Last week I asked my readers on social media how they liked to cook their bacon – oven, frying pan or microwave. A few smarties, said they would take it any way they could get it, some of you reported that you cook your bacon in the oven like us, a number of you are still frying it up in pan and apparently, only mom is microwaving her bacon these days, because not one of you picked that option!

Since there were a few questions tossed my way on the subject, I decided to do a up a little post on how we cook our bacon and I find it really is the best way! Perfect bacon every time people!!! The oven is definitely the way to go. Less mess, less smokey smell, and the bacon comes out nice and straight.

how to cook bacon

Ready for perfect bacon? Here we go:

How to cook bacon in the oven

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, it helps with the clean up later. I use a 22×16 pan and LOVE it for all kinds of uses, but it is perfect for 1lb of bacon. Everything gets cooked at once! Lay your bacon out on top of the parchment.

2. Place assembled baking sheet in the middle rack of a cold oven. Yup, don’t preheat this one. Close the door, turn the oven on to 400F

3. Let bacon cook for 15-20min, you want the bacon to look browned but not too crisp, timing will depend on your oven and the thickness of the bacon. Keep an eye on it after the 15 min mark until done.

4. Remove pan and immediately transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease. I detest all things greasy so I try to soak up as much as possible.

bacon pan pmReady for the oven

baconom nom nom nom

Breakfast is my specialty. I admit it’s the easiest meal to cook, but I make everything with a twist, like lemon ricotta pancakes or bacon that’s baked instead of fried.

Hugh Jackman

There ya go people, even Hugh Jackman bakes his bacon!

Comments

1. Yum! We like ours crispy, so I do it at 350 for 25 minutes. I can’t imagine going back to pan frying!

2. Guppy5700 says:

I used to be an oven bacon maker because the fry pan was too messy. But when I found how easy and cleaner it was to use my Foreman indoor grill, Id never cook bacon any other way now!

• momvstheboys says:

I’ve never used a foreman for bacon, how many slices can you fit in there at a time?

• Guppy5700 says:

Our new grill is smaller so I can fit 4 rashers at a time – which is okay for our small family of three, but the plates pop out to be thrown into the dishwasher!
        If you can find the large family grill you can fit twice that and avoid grumbling from a larger starving family lol! The down side was the plates were attached and harder to clean.

3. Nena Sinclair says:

I always cook my bacon in the oven now, it’s so much easier and it tastes wonderful!

4. MMmmm…..bacon!!!!! I always cook bacon in the oven.

5. OMG. Bookmarking, pinning, committing to memory! Thanks for this!

6. Awesome post. I am pinning this!

7. You are a genius!! I hate cooking bacon because of the splatter!! This is a great compromise!! Bacon here I come!

8. Wow that does look like perfectly cooked bacon. This is a great tip because I batch cook mine then warm them in the oven while I`m waiting for the rest to finish. This seems much easier and a better way to cook it.

9. BACON…mmmmmm. I ONLY cook bacon in the oven. Such easy clean up and I love how crispy and tasty it comes out. So easy! Cooking on the stove seems like such a hassle to me now lol.

10. I’ve never cooked bacon in the oven because I thought all the mess that you get from frying would now be in the oven but after reading the reviews here I think I’ll try it. Thanks

11. I cook it in the oven but on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. All the grease goes to the bottom and perfectly crispy.

12. Birdiebee says:

I tried this out and it works wonders. I will never be frying another piece of bacon again. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

13. I’m curious if the bacon continues cooking a little more after you take it out of the oven like it does in a frying pan.

14. Cheryl (@loucheryl) says:

Sounds good to me. I’ve never cooked bacon in the oven. I’d love to give it a try.

15. Anne Taylor says:

I’ve never cooked bacon this way before but I believe I need to try! I was taught by my grandmother how to cook “perfect” bacon so we’ll see how it compares!

16. Debbie S. says:

okay, I will try this! I do not like frying bacon. I have tried a new fangled microwave bacon cooking gadget that I paid way too much money for. Thanks! I will go get my bacon out now to defrost and cook it tomorrow morning in the oven!

17. Helen Kempster says:

we love bacon!! I may go back to cooking it more since I have seen this, so much easier and less mess!!

18. Okay I keep hearing about this – thanks for the post I’ll actually try it now!

19. Amy Lovell says:

Thanks will have to try this!

20. Terry Perron says:

Never cooked bacon in the oven will try this soon. Thank you

21. The best way to cook bacon!

22. Can you believe I’ve never cooked bacon in the oven?! I’ve got to try this one day! Though I happen to love grease…

I will be trying this out next time I have guests for breakfast!

24. Kevin B says:

Neat idea — thanks!

25. Cairine says:

I cook bacon in the oven when I have company, I like it crispy. I also do my sausage this way if I have quite a few people to feed.

26. Elaine Buonsante says:

Thank you for this great tip. I stopped cooking bacon because it was always so greasy…maybe I can add bacon to special brunches with this method.

27. Angela Massis says:

Bacon in the oven is genius because that is one mess out of site and I can use my griddle for eggs and pancakes. I can time everything to be ready at the same time.

I have never cooked bacon in the oven before. I should give it a try.

29. Caroline says:

Nothing beats the smell of bacon first thing in the morning!

30. Krista M says:

Pan frying is the WORST! I almost never even make bacon anymore because of the disasterous mess. It’s so annoying, & you can hardly fit any bacon in a frying pan. I think this is a useful idea, & you can cook a LOT more bacon at once. I am willing to try this idea!

31. Darla Peduzzi says:

Thanks for the great idea! I really am not a fan of making bacon in the morning, as I seem to always get splashed with some flying bacon drippings. Definitely will have to try this.

32. this is the only way I cook bacon. Less mess.

33. I have yet to try this and now that I have a self cleaning oven nothing is stopping me!! Must try 🙂

34. This is a great idea. And anything that spares mess is a good thing in my book.

35. Dorothy H says:

So what happens to the pan of grease?

36. I’ve never cooked bacon in the oven before. My kids LOVE bacon! I should try this out

37. Alison Braidwood says:

Such a good and easy idea. And this seems like it would be so much less messy than using a frying pan.

38. Rosanne Robinson says:

This looks like a great way to cook up large quantities of bacon at the same time, thanks for sharing, I’ve never cooked bacon in the oven before.

39. I finally got around to trying it! It worked perfectly. Thanks 🙂

40. It does work so well, I will never fry bacon again

41. Chandra O'Connor says:

My bacon has to be to the point of almost burnt. I’d be afraid to use the Kirkland in oven for flare ups, lots of fat on that brand.

42. Brilliance!!! I’ve totally been converted. Why the heck was this not a “thing” years ago lol

I always cook my bacon in the oven.

44. Never thought of doing bacon in the oven; need to try this.

45. Wow, what a great idea and such less mess than frying bacon. I am going to have to try this.

46. Awesome! I’ve never heard of doing this before. I’m going to try it this morning 🙂

And I have tried it out twice and it worked wonderfully well. My bacon was just right and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will never use a frying pan again – well at least for bacon 🙂

Never thought of doing bacon in the oven tell i read this post ,its alll oven now and so much cleaner

49. Rosanne Robinson says:

We love bacon, never thought about cooking it in the oven, will try doing it in cooler weather, thanks!

50. My hubby always cook bacon in the oven and it is always so good.

51. I don’t think I’ll ever cook bacon any other way again!

Honestly i will never pan fry again after doing it in the oven…..its messless

53. I would have to say in 45 plus years of cooking bacon I have never done it in the oven

54. I switched to cooking it in the oven and will never go back to doing it in a frying pan on top of the stove. It’s just so easy in the oven.

55. Darlene Demell says:

We love bacon but I have never tried cooking it in the oven. I must try this. It sure looks good. Thanks for sharing

56. Leslie Crosbie says:

Bacon is probably my favorite food and I have thought about cooking it in the oven but didnt want to be disappointed…I will try next time!

57. Chandra O'Connor says:

I should do it this way because I tend to eat the stuff that’s cooked while cooking another batch!

58. Linda Bragg says:

I generally do breakfast on the weekends when hubby is home from working and I have never done bacon in the oven before. So this is great and I am going to try it. Sounds perfect for not having grease to clean up too!

59. I will have to try this

60. jay nelson says:

I love bacon! Thank you! We usually have it for our Sunday brunch,

This is the best way ,thanks

62. Ooh… I’m going to have to try that during the holidays!

63. Darlene Demell says:

This is a great way to do bacon in the oven, I will have to try this. thanks for sharing.

64. Elaine Buonsante says:

I’ll be using this method of cooking bacon over the holidays when we have extra family staying over.

65. Jennifer Ann Wilson says:

Thanks, I’m going to try this method.

66. I am a convert to this method of cooking bacon – it’s so easy and great when there is a bit of a crowd for breakfast.

67. Darlene Demell says:

I have never tried cooking bacon in the oven but it is a great idea. Less mess I think.

68. Melissa F says:

What a great time saving idea as you dont have to tend to it

I like my bacon crispy and this works so well !!

70. Calvin F. says:

Can’t remember the last time I had bacon, it’s been so long, it’s ridiculous, Will remember this hack when I do though.

71. Sherry K says:

I agree this is the best and easiest way to cook bacon. Now I enjoy cooking bacon – no mess.

72. Linda Bragg says:

I have never done bacon in the oven!! Generally fry pan…So…I am trying it this weekend in the oven as we always have bacon and eggs when hubby is home. I do like my bacon crispy but can eat if its done a little less… can’t wait to try…