Snowball Ornaments

Each year the boys and I sit down and create a new ornament for our tree. This year, Mama got a brand new tree for herself! I’m pretty excited about it! We’ve always had a family tree with a mish mash of ornaments from pretty to cute and handmade ones the boys made at school along with ornaments we pick up on our travels. It’s really fun to decorate the tree every year and look back on those memories, but secretly I had longed for a pretty, matching grown up tree. So this year, I got one when a big sale came on and I bought a bunch of silver, red and white ornaments to go on it and I lurve it!!! But to add a personal touch I had the boys create these adorable snowball ornaments, that both match my lovely tree and were made by my little boys.

snowball ornaments kids can make - mom vs the boys

Aren’t they pretty? They look just like some nice packed snowballs, and they are so simple to make!

Snowball Ornaments

Glass ornament balls
Epsom salt
Small bowl

White Glue
Paint brush or foam brush

Directions

Before you start, prepare your bowl of epsom salts.

Remove the metal piece at the top of the ornament. Using a small paint brush or foam brush, coat the ornament ball with white glue. We found that by sticking a finger in the hole of the ornament, made it easier to hold the ball without getting glue everywhere.

applying glue

Now cover the ball with epsom salts. You can set the ball inside the bowl and roll it around to cover most of the ball, then just use your hand to sprinkle more on in places you’ve missed. I say the more the merrier, and we tried to get a nice thick coat on.

snowball ornament making

Now replace the metal hanger part of the ball, slip in a hook and hang to dry. I found using a metal cookie rack held up by some books made for an easy solution to hold many balls at once.

snowball ornament drying

Be sure to start with clean hands. See that red spot? We had just finished some painted ornments before starting this project and my son still had some red paint on his hands that transferred over to these. oops, lesson learned.

2 snowball ornaments pm

single snowball ornament pm

I love the way the bright white balls stand out from the dark green tree, you can see them really well! They would look really pretty with some ribbon to hang them with as well. Right now we are just using the little metal hooks.

2 snowball ornaments pm text

These are very quick and easy to make, and will make a great last minute gift idea that kids can make for their teachers, parents or grandparents.
Give it a pin on pinterest!

snowball ornaments canvapm

You might also like these Reindeer Thumbprint ornaments

Reindeer Thumbprint Ornaments

Comments

1. They turned out really pretty~

2. Anne Taylor says:

These are just adorable and really quite simple! Thanks, I think my grandkids and I would have a blast making these.

3. Very pretty ornaments, yet easy to make!

4. Oh these are very pretty! Do they last a long time?

• momvstheboys says:

We have actually dropped a few and they still looked fine, I think they will have to be stored carefully though in some tissue so they aren’t being bumped around too much

These are absolutely gorgeous and not at all difficult to make either, thanks for sharing. I’ll make these next year for my tree. 🙂

6. Erika Belanger says:

Awww these are super cute!!! Going to save this and make next year!!

Thanks for shaing these simple crafts,since the kids are out for the holidays this may be a good way to past sometime for them

8. I just love the snowball ornaments. i have some clear ornaments left over from a craft we were making. I’d love to make these with my boys.

9. Oh wow, those are beautiful Jennifer! I’ll have to see if I have the supplies to make some with Kit, they’re so pretty. And I’m entirely jealous for your second tree, lol. When it’s just Jay and I, I have different (breakable) ornaments that go on my tree, but with the nephews around this year, the tree is much more playfilled. Like you, I love the tree we have, but it would be nice to have a better designed one as well for us adults to enjoy, lol.

Happy Holidays! <3

10. That’s a really cute idea! I can say I would NEVER have thought to use salt to decorate 🙂

11. Victoria Ess says:

These are so pretty! I am totally going to try this this year!

Darn,i forgot about these i am going to try the they look so pretty

I LOVE these. My boys would be able to help out with these. Awesome!

14. These are so pretty. My girls and I would love making these.

15. This is such an easy and beautiful Christmas craft for kids to do.

16. the thumbprint ornaments are a bit of a tradition here 🙂

17. nicolthepickle says:

These look really nice. I love the snow look. Thanks for the idea.

18. Judy Cowan says:

Love them and so easy to make…I see a trip to Micheal’s to find some glass ornaments.

19. kristen visser says:

oh my gosh those snowball ornaments are so clever and easy to do. You do not need much at all to make these and they look so cool on the tree! such a great idea.

20. Debbie White Beattie says:

I love both of these ideas and I don’t know how you come up with this stuff especially the epson salts because I would never of put something that your soak your sores and pain with ornaments, amazing imagination !!!

21. I love the snowed ornaments, it has given me an idea for mine old ornaments.

22. Wow these are super cute. They look fantastic.

23. Chandra O'Connor says:

Really cute ornaments. I want to do something like that with my granddaughter for her parents.

24. Lynda Cook says:

Omg these are so cute, love em, especially the reindeer ones!!

25. Very cute & easy to make.