The Tenderness of Boys

corn-maze

Last week I went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch with my son’s class. It was a long, cold day filled with corn mazes and pumpkin cannons,  so as soon as we got on the bus at the end of the day my boy lied his head down on my lap and was asleep almost before the bus pulled out of the parking lot.

Soon after his buddy in the seat next to us noticed him snoozing and started to laugh. He nudged his seatmate and they both had a giggle and then toppled over pretending to be asleep as well. Only, a few seconds later I realized that they hadn’t gotten up. Turns out their little bodies decided it actually felt pretty good to rest and they had fallen asleep too.

The boy by the window had his head on the padded seat in front of him and the other had his head lying on his friends back. I looked over at them every few minutes and kept waiting for the boy to push the other boy off of him but he never did. In fact, when he decided to change positions and sit up, his friend moved out of the way and then flopped back down now with his head on the boys lap. Not knowing where to put his arm, the boy by the window just wrapped it around his friend lying on top of him.

After a full day of running through corn fields, jumping on hay bales and leaping over puddles, these seven year old boys were finally at rest. It was the sweetest sight. Just a big pile up of sweat and dirt and tenderness.

Oh boys, they have a way of driving us crazy with their energy, noise and fearlessness, but it’s those soft tender moments they rarely show, that truly melt your heart.

Comments

1. kristen visser says:

I actually have always wanted a boy! I thought my first was a boy during my pregnancy (at least that is what i was telling myself) and now i have two little girls…and trying for a third lol. I was trying all the myths to get pregnant with a boy my first month and then decided…heck I would be happy either way. Yes a boy would be nice BUT if I have another girl it wasn’t meant to be and I just have to cuddle the heck out of my nephew LOL

2. Yvonne Delgado says:

My 3 boys can do things that just make my moms heart smile. This was a sweet story you shared.

3. Definitely a melt your heart moment. Sounds like it was quite the day to tire them all out.

4. Lynda Cook says:

This is so cute, boys sure do have two sides, the rough and tough and the soft and loveable, gotta love our boys!!

5. Moments like these will always put a smile on your face.

6. That is a sweet story 🙂
    I know my nephew can be a handful sometimes but what kids can’t. One thing that always makes me smile or laugh is how pure his laugh is.

7. Carole Dube says:

My son was a hand full but he was full of soft tender moments too. We have to love them for that!

8. Marilyn Legault says:

I have 3 boys and love them.

9. jay nelson says:

My son is difficult to catch and hold for long – sometimes I give him a tablet to play on just so I can hold him.

10. Boys are sweethearts.. my son was at preschool.. I was in the building waiting.. he was walking by and he had to run over for a kiss and a high five.. so sweet! =)

11. Elva Roberts says:

I agree with you on the tenderness of boys. They may do things that makes your day and make your heart smile. One of my neighbours told me how my son,Godfather of one of her grandchildren, would bring a treat to both children and would not want the other child to be left out.
    Our school janitor told me how this same boy would help her put chairs back after an assembly.
    I was not aware of either act, but was so happy that our son had a kind heart and it made my day.

12. Cheryl MacPhail says:

They will always have a soft spot fr their moms 🙂

13. Elva Roberts says:

I have always loved boys.Perhaps the reason is that I was the only girl in the first part of our family-boy, girl, boy, boy. Boys can be as tender as any girl.
    Some of us were jumping or diving off a ferry that was docked. I was deciding whether I should or not. It was a long way down,about thirty or more feet. I was probably only 13 or 14 at the time. I was not used to diving off that height. One of the boys, who had been jumping off the deck, came over to me and advised me not to jump. He had hurt his stomach and did not want the same to happen to me. Some girls were jumping off as well ,two of them. Neither one said anything, I listened to him and I was happy to win. He did not have to advise me but he did. I thank him for that.

14. I have a son and love the moments of tenderness!

15. Thanks for the insight. Our grandson will be born any day now.

16. Chandra O'Connor says:

That was sweet at the end, all that fresh air did them all in.

17. My boys melt my heart on a daily basis! 🙂

My boy is an adult now and he still melts my heart with his goodness

19. oh so true, my little toddler boy melts my heart every day 🙂 thanks for the read!

My grandson (12) loves his sister so much and is always looking out for her it melts my heart

Boys can be so gentle and make your heart melt, as well as causing your heart to stop mid beat at some of their antics.