This post has been brought to you in partnership with Becel. I was compensated for this post; however, all opinions expressed here are my own
Why buy a gift when you can bake one?
Remember when Christmas was simple? Okay, me neither, but ask your Grandma about her Christmases’ of long ago, back when every toy didn’t come with a cord, the elf on the shelf didn’t run rampant through the night and a thoughtful gift for the neighbour or teacher was some home-baked cookies. I don’t know why we’re so hard on ourselves these days. There’s no need to make Christmas PERFECT, regardless of how Pinterest worthy the pictures are, it already is, just by being with family and friends.
So while Christmas itself may not be simple, one element of it can be: gifting. This holiday season, consider baking from the heart and gifting your treats in pretty boxes. Better yet, think outside the box and get creative by piling some cookies up in mason jars or even tea cups or coffee mugs and then tie it all together with a pretty bow! It’s a great way to keep costs down and I think it adds a really personal touch to your gift giving. Besides, who can resist homemade cookies? Not me!
To make things even simpler, Becel has developed an expert-tested recipe that can create endless custom cookie options using your choice of mix-ins to suit your tastes! This Anything Goes Cookie Dough recipe is a big time saver – it’s the only recipe you’ll need to make endless treats. Last year I used the Becel Anything Goes Cookie Dough recipe to create a fun and delicious Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookie that the kids raved over! This year I’ve come up with a pretty Lemon Crinkle Cookie using the same recipe, and a few small tweaks.
Becel Anything Goes Cookie Dough
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large Naturegg™ Omega 3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
How to make
Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C).
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
Beat Becel® Buttery Taste margarine with sugars in large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended.
Add your choice of mix in’s (i.e. chocolate chip, dried fruit, seeds, toffee bits, etc.). Drop by tablespoonfuls on ungreased baking sheets, 2-inches (5 cm) apart.
Bake 7 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from sheets and cool completely. Makes about 52 cookies
My boys and I love all things lemon so this year I decided to try a nice lemon cookie dough by adding a couple tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice and the zest from one lemon. Then I rolled the dough in some soft powdered sugar for a touch of sweetness! It’s a wonderful combination and if you find your sugar bakes off in the oven, go ahead and give it another sprinkle when it comes out..
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Becel® Buttery Taste margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg
- 2½ Tbs lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 4 drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190° C).
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel® Buttery Taste margarine with sugars in large bowl. Beat in eggs and lemon juice until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in lemon zest and food colouring.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pour powdered sugar into a bowl. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop the dough out of the bowl and place in the bowl of powdered sugar. Gently toss the bowl or roll the dough to generously coat in powdered sugar.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets, 2-inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake 7 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from sheets and cool completely.
No matter what you bake this holiday season, you can replace butter with margarine 1:1 in any recipe for an easy to use alternative ready to use straight from the fridge. I love that Becel® margarine has no artificial preservatives, flavours or colours and is made from simple blends of plant and seed oils.
For more inspiration on how to use the Becel Anything Goes Cookie Dough, visit Becel.ca where you’ll find amazing recipes for Chocolate Peppermint Spiral Cookies, Snickerdoodles and tons of gifting inspiration!