We’ve been blessed this year to have a warm and sunny September, for the most part, but it couldn’t last forever! Looking at the gloom and rain outside my window right now, I’m thinking of what kind of comfort food I can whip up for dinner tonight. Fall is all about the return of homemade soup, casseroles and hot steamy dishes!
For a super easy mid week meal, this Southwestern Chicken and Rice Skillet is a perfect way to get a hearty dish into the bellies of your family, without the extra dishes and mess. Everything cooks up in one skillet!
Southwestern Chicken and Rice Skillet
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 can (10oz/284 ml) chicken broth
1 cup rice
1 Tbsp chili powder
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 peppers (I like using a variety of colours)
3/4 cup Ivanoe Salsa Cheese, shredded
Combine maynaise, broth, rice and chili powder in a large skillet or frying pan. Top with chicken breasts.
Bring to boil, cover and let simmer or med/low heat for 25 min. If you see that the dish is getting dry, you can add a touch more liquid.
Top with peppers and cheese and cook for 10 more minutes.
I find this is a good base recipe to build one, go ahead and add corn, black beans or tomatoes if you wish!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (10oz/284 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 peppers (I like using a variety of colours)
- ¾ cup Ivanoe Salsa Cheese, shredded
- (other items you may wish to add, corn, black beans, tomato)
- Combine maynaise, broth, rice and chili powder in a large skillet or frying pan. Top with chicken breasts.
- Bring to boil, cover and let simmer or med/low heat for 25 min. If you see that the dish is getting dry, you can add a touch more liquid.
- Top with peppers, cheese and any other toppings and cook for 10 more minutes.
Did you know that Ivanhoe is the oldest cheese company of it’s kind in Canada? It still remains a local attraction on the hamlet of Ivanhoe today! Ivanhoe prides itself on making award winnig artisan cheddars, as well as an extensive selection of specialty cheeses including Kosher and Halal options!
Visit the Gay Lea website for great recipes and information on all their latest products like the brand new Smooth Cottage Cheese! It has all the benefits of regular cottage cheese without the lumpy texture! It’s available in Vanilla Bean or Salted Caramel!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.