Thanksgiving weekend is upon us here in Canada! One of my favourite weekends of the year! It seems fitting to share with you all a new seasonal recipe I tried last weekend while we had company, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares! They were a hit with the young and old! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin is fine)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (or white chocolate, or both!)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line an 8″x 8" inch pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs and oil until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, spices, salt and brown sugar. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.
Source: Pennies on a Platter